Thursday, November 20, 2008

Our day at Children's Hospital

So once again, Baby woke up this morning and vomited...or vomited and woke up...who knows. Chris and I had decided yesterday that we (um, I) would call the doc today if it happened again. For whatever reasons, it just doesn't seem like a stomach virus....and while discovering that a.m. vomiting is a symptom of brain tumors freaked Chris out a bit at first, neither of us really believed that was an issue either...BUT, to be on the safe side (I mean, this is our first time dealing with baby stuff, ya know?!?) I called the doc and left a message on their medical advice line explaining the morning vomiting...and to make sure they were dealing with all the info, I also mentioned my past medical history with my little brain buddy. They finally called about 3 hours later, while Raina was taking her a.m. nap. The nurse said she talked to a couple doctors there, and the recommendation was to take Raina to Children's Hospital ER, tell them what was going on, and see whether they wanted to do anymore tests, whether it be blood or CT scan. Armed with that info, I called Chris and we talked about what we were going to do. Basically it came down to this...we both kinda feel like all this is related to teething...but what if...WHAT IF...what if we were to discover sometime down the road that there's something wrong with her? We didn't want to put ourselves in a position where we would think "Oh, if we had just done something about it sooner..." So, we decided to take her in. She woke up shortly thereafter, we picked Chris up from work, and off we went to Oakland. If you haven't been to Children's Hospital in Oakland, be warned...the parking situation is CRAZY! It was valet. Valet parking freaks me out. Don't ask me why...it just does. To make a long story short, our total time there was about 2 hours...not too bad for an Emergency Room visit, if you ask me. Raina was totally unhappy...she totally dislikes anything having to do with doctors. It's really gotten worse since her last Well Child visit (5 pricks). Here she is in our room while we waited for the doctor...the poor thing :(

The doc we got was great...very attentive, very thorough. She said that they could administer a CT scan no problem, but explained that radiation exposure is cumulative. We all agreed that it was too soon to turn to a CT scan. We all decided to give it until Monday. If the a.m. vomiting doesn't stop by then, we're supposed to take her back to the pediatrician for an MRI referral. That way they can rule out any brain issues and we can be done with that. I'm all for that. While I still don't think there's an issue there, I don't think having a baseline brain MRI is a bad thing. I certainly wish I had one! So anyways, we got home in time for her afternoon nap around 1:30ish. She was cranky and tired, but overall well. This is her about 5 minutes after we got home. All smiles :)

So that was our day. Chris worked from home the rest of the day. We spent money we don't have on pizza for dinner. I had grand plans of working on my closet some more this evening, seeing as tomorrow midnight is my deadline, but I guess I'll be cramming to get it done tomorrow 'cause I'm certainly not doing it tonight! I remembered to put plastic underneath her sheets tonight...I had forgotten the past few days. That should cut back on some laundry tomorrow morning if it should happen again...which we soooo hope it doesn't.
Thanks for all your well-wishes and good vibes!!!
Totally off subject, but guess what? Tomorrow is Friday...I get to sleep in Saturday morning and sleep without the monitor Friday night. Can you say "YAY!!!!!"?!? ;)

2 comments:

granola girl said...

Oh Jess! SHE WILL NOT PUKE TOMORROW MORNING! Repeat that mantra until you fall asleep!

I could have warned you about Chilren's. Just dealt with them for 2 months for Josh's broken arm. We always got there at least 45 min before our appt. just so we could park. But they are great people and know what they are doing.

Please keep us up to date.

hugs!!

Melanie said...

Hi, Jess -
I'm so relieved that the doctors didn't seem overly-concerned...concerned, yes, but not overly -- such a huge difference. Poor, poor Raina - give her an extra hug for me in the AM!