Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Stop the presses...we've gone crunchy

Not quite granola bar crunchy. Maybe more like oatmeal cookie crunchy. Perhaps gluten-free :)

It's official: Not only do I have a doula, but I also have a midwife. What the heck is a doula and midwife, you might ask? (and don't feel stupid...lots of people don't know :)

Taken right from a DONA International handout given to me by my doula, a doula is defined as: "...a trained and experienced labor companion who provides the woman and her husband or partner continuous emotional support, physical comfort, and assistance in obtaining information before, during, and just after childbirth." Go here to check out my doula(s): http://www.blessedarrivals.com/about.asp

I decided to pursue the doula thing after feeling completely overwhelmed and defeated when it came to dealing with my OBs and their attitudes towards V-BACs (you're on your own for research if you don't know what a V-BAC is...I'm trying to stay in my happy place and that involves not typing the word vagina or any of its derivations). After coming to the understanding that a doula is not a medical practitioner or someone who "interferes" with the doctors in any way, Chris was 100% on board. Kinda funny to think now that we both then said something to the effect of "It's not like we're doing the midwife thing!" Ha! Fast-forward to a few days ago when my doula told me about a very V-BAC-friendly midwife who'd be willing to take me on so very late in the game.

For the first time during this entire pregnancy, I actually got giddy and excited about the birthing experience that I could possibly be able to have...to be able to go into the experience without the battle armor needed (in my head) to deal with the OBs. Chris was wary. I knew he would be. He likes the idea of The Medical Degree, which midwives do not have. I'd like to state for the record that I did not pressure him in any way. I flat out told him that of course I would like to go the midwife route, but the last thing I wanted to do was make him even more uncomfortable than he already is (he's nervous about the V-BAC). I was fine with doing the doula/OB way. I'm not quite sure what tipped the scales in my favor, but he agreed to pursue the midwife.

What's a midwife, right? I took this from babycenter.com: "Certified nurse-midwives (CNMs) provide a full range of primary healthcare services to women in the United States, including routine gynecological checkups, family planning services, preconception care, prenatal and postpartum care, and, of course, delivering babies. They attend births mostly in hospitals, but also in birth centers and private homes. Certified nurse-midwives are trained in both nursing and midwifery and are certified by the American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM). To be certified, a CNM must be formally educated in midwifery through an accredited program affiliated with an institution of higher learning, demonstrate clinical competence, and pass a rigorous national certifying exam. CNMs are licensed to practice in all 50 states and the District of Columbia."

So, here's the deal. I'm still going to the hospital (Magee for all you curious Pittsburgh folk, not West Penn like last time). My midwife will stay with me throughout my entire labor, and should any "problems" come up that require more intense medical attention, the high-risk team of OBs at the hospital will be there to assist.

We met with the midwife today. He's a dude, which I understand makes some people do a double-take. Go here if you wanna check him out: http://www.mrmidwife.org/index.html. He immediately scored points for having toys in his office for Raina to play with. A little thing...yet a big thing. He basically just made himself available to answer any questions or concerns we had, I filled out a lot of medical history paperwork, and then he did a very brief exam (weight, BP, listening to baby's HR). I have weekly appointments with him from here on out, and I'm also supposed to see the high-risk OB team at the hospital (the soonest they can see me is Feb. 25th...we'll see if I last that long :)

I'm saying YAY! I don't know if Chris is saying "yay!"...he's probably saying "Yay, Jess is happy," but I understand that this probably increases his anxiety a bit. I do have to give him major props, however...the boy was on a Mission this morning to make sure we got to the appointment. We got even more snow, and he was out there before 8 a.m. this morning with the snowblower. He got us to Squirrel Hill safe and sound and 45 minutes early. That's my man :)

Now that we have all this in place and the snow is supposed to let up, you can bet your booty that I'm going to start experimenting with some, um, do-it-yourself (or with a partner!) "induction" techniques. I'm READY!

(and if Phoebe comes out wearing this, we know why ;)

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm so glad you're feeling MUCH better about this whole thing. So, you really think Phoebe's going to come at any time?

Miss Jess said...

I don't know anymore. I think that "feeling" I had was wishful thinking. Now I'm back to thinking mid-March!

Patton's With Passion said...

Glad you like Patrick. And Magee is a great place to birth! My good friend Dana is an OB nurse there. I'm so excited for you.