Tuesday, August 4, 2009

pros and cons

I'm feeling a little "eh" today about being pregnant. These past several days have probably been the hardest so far. Thankfully, my mother was in town for most of them. Today, however, I was on my own (with a little help from Chris, who just returned from Vegas last night and but was pretty much the walking dead all day). Today has been a lot of feeling yucky...a little nausea, a lot of cramping, a teasing headache, and an overwhelming feeling of just wanting to curl up in bed and stay there all day. You can imagine how Raina objected to my even entertaining that thought. I find most of my thoughts centered around the yuckiness of being pregnant. A lucky few of you were with me during my last pregnancy blog. Good times, right?!? Ha. Anyways, to try to offset some of this negative thinking, I've decided to sit down and write out the pros and cons of pregnancy that I'm experiencing now at a measly 9+ weeks. OMG, only 9+ weeks!!! Sigh.

Let's start with the cons so I can end on the silver lining...

Cons of growing a loveable parasite:

1. Feeling exhausted/having no energy

2. Insatiable hunger/incredible weight gain ("incredible" as in Ripley's-freaky incredible, not winning-the-lottery incredible)

3. Funky skin (this time around, I not only have the wonderful zits but also the white bumps on my arms)

4. Cramps. I know it doesn't sound bad, but cramping during the 1st trimester elicits nothing but fear from us already emotionally unstable pregnant chicks. Which brings me to...

5. Emotional instability. Pretty self-explanatory.

6. Being unable to fit into any of my clothes. Kinda my fault, though. A couple months back, when I was actually on my way to losing the original baby weight, I got rid of all my "fat" clothes. Sigh.

7. The farting. Ha, who am I kidding! That's fun :)...except when it's in public. I don't know much about the farting habits of other pregnant chicks...none of my super close friends have either been pregnant yet or talked to me about it...but my pregger farts remind me of surprise parties. They're like the people hiding behind the couch who jump out with no warning and yell "surprise!"

8. Dr's appointments. Actually, I wouldn't mind them so much if only I knew what to expect at each one. Specifically, whether I'm going to be subjected to an internal. Since I don't know what's coming, I spend the night before the appointment "preparing" for an exam; not an easy thing to do when I'm suffering from the exhaustion/lack of energy and #9...

9. Freakishly fast hair growth. Seriously. I'll shave my legs one day and less than 2 days later it's already past the stubble stage and into the soft furry stage.

10. Nose bleeds.

11. Inability to sleep at night. This didn't happen until later into my second trimester last time. It's been going on for weeks now.

12. Peeing nonstop. Once again, this didn't happen until later into my second trimester last time. Last night, I got up and peed 6 times between 10:30 p.m. and 7 a.m. That's been a regular thing now for several weeks.

13. Put most of these together, and it equals this last one: Feeling like the most disgusting/ depressing person in the world to be around.

The pros:

1. Being able to park in the "expectant mother" space. And yes, I do, even at only 9+ weeks.

Wow. This is already hard...

2. I'm gonna count fast hair growth as a pro...but only in the sense that I've completely resolved to grow my head hair out.

3. Farting?

4. Not having to change the kitty litter...as much.

Ummmm....

This isn't helping like I thought it would.

I've sat here for 5 minutes now, unable to think of anything. That sucks. I know the pros will increase, especially when I can feel the little bugger moving, but I just have to get through these next several weeks the best I can. As do hubby and baby. It'll probably be harder for them than me.

Feel free to send me presents. Those always cheer me up.

;)

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Jess,

I hear you.

Just remember that, to the real world, you are a beautiful, caring woman who is raising a wonderful daughter. And you're doing that while working hard at creating something else.

Sending you a big hug...