Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My Level 1 cakes

Well, as you may or may not know, I've been taking cake decorating classes at Jo-Ann's. This month was Level 1...four classes, two hours each. I was able to attend the first three classes, having to miss tonight's last class because of the stupid G20 making my husband work longer than usual. Grrrrrr.

Anyways, I've had requests for pics, so here they are. Remember that I'm a beginner!!!

So this was decorated during the last 15-20 minutes of the second class. No joke on the time given to decorate! I think only 2 of us "finished" the darned thing, and I only finished 'cause I was determined to have something to show for the hours spent making all that different colored icing. Everyone had to do the same pattern, but obviously the writing and colors of the rainbow were different with each person.




This was decorated during the last 25-30 minutes of the third class. What is up with not giving us more time to decorate?!?!? This project could either be a cake or cupcakes. Most did cupcakes. As you can see, it was a serious rush job, but I am proud of one thing. The cake "pattern" we were working from showed only the two clowns on top. I added the third....





.....climbing up the back of the cake. He's a little squished from the drive home in the car, but you get the point. Creative, I thought ;)










This is the cake we were supposed to decorate in class tonight. White with pink pastel roses. Ummm, pretty but not really up my alley. I decided over the weekend that I was going to do the same thing (pretty much) but in black and white instead. The teacher did say we could be creative and change the, ummm, color of the roses. Ha! Oh well!





So I timed myself as I sat at the dining room table tonight, and I decorated this cake in 25 minutes. Unfortunately, tonight was the night we were really going to learn how to make roses, and I could have desperately benefited from the instruction. I hate to say that I kind of half-assed this, but I did. I just wasn't feeling it...probably due to not being able to make it to class :(





In the beginning, I was worried that a black cake (black icing as opposed to sleek black fondant) would look unappetizing, but I think it looks good enough to eat.










I'm looking forward to being able to take Level 2 in October...and then Level 3 in November and Level 4 after that. So anyways, if you'd like a free cake made by a beginner, give me a call. I want the practice...and how can you beat a free cake?!? :)

Speaking of cake, I'm off to eat mine now...

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Wow - I'm impressed! Raina will have the best birthday cake ever this year!