Sunday, August 14, 2011

Mom-cation 2011

So, on Friday, August 12th, around 5 p.m., I said good-bye to the fam and traveled 15 minutes down the highway to the Courtyard Marriott where I had a room reservation for 2 nights. ALL BY MYSELF.

View out window. Close to all sorts of STUFF.


You can bet your bottom that the
do-not-disturb sign went up the minute I got there
First night: LONG shower, shaved (hence the longness of the shower), colored hair, painted toenails, plucked eyebrows, ate some dark chocolate, watched Dinner For Schmucks on HBO (giggle fest), read a little, and took some sleeping pills (which totally didn't work because of the all the caffeine I drank that night and the fact that I'm still recovering from a really bad UTI).


Saturday: Got out of bed around 10, went to a yard sale and then got seriously lost for about an hour (thanks to Pittsburgh detours that just kinda forget about you halfway through the detour), took a 4-hour nap (ahhhhhhhh), visited the new LA Fitness and got a visitor's pass so I could work out, read the paper and people watched in the hotel lobby, ate a Wendy's salad for dinner, saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes in the theater, read a book, and then took another sleep aid. Damn UTI again.

Oh, let's not forget the little "fight" with the hubby...
Hubby: "I told the girls you'd be coming home Sunday morning."
Me: "WHAT?!?"

OMG

Sunday: Took my precious time getting out of bed and packing (checkout was at noon, my ass was out the door at 11:55) and then proceeded to run errands until 3.

I learned a lot...

1. Pussy willows are awesome. Actually, I've always known that...I even have some in my home. I just always forget they're there, which is sad 'cause they're one of my favorite plants. I need to pay attention to and appreciate the small things.


2. I need to stop feeling bad for splurging on nice things every once in a while. So what if we can't pay a few bills this month or have to live on Ramen for the next couple weeks?!? $109/night got me a really nice room and maybe I deserved it. Um, right?

3. I need more friends. I felt lonely at one point and wanted to talk to somebody, anybody, maybe even go out for a drink, but the only number programmed in my phone was the hubby's work number. I had no computer, no facebook, no means of connecting with anyone. I cherished that at many points during my weekend, but when the moment hit that I wanted someone, boy did it suck to realize I didn't have them. I think I need to put myself out there more, make more of an effort to connect with people, stop perseverating on the feeling that I don't fit in anywhere.

4. I apparently have lost the ability to relax. All weekend I worried about what was waiting for me when I returned home. The laundry, the dishes, the dust bunnies, the monotony. I could not clear my mind of it all. I don't quite know how to deal with this one.

5. My Starbucks habit could pay for a gym membership. So, to that end, I have decided to break up with Starbucks and start a gym relationship. I visited 3 gyms with kid klubs, narrowed it down to 2, and plan to drag the kiddos to both of them this-coming week for a trial run and sign the papers by the end of the month. If I quit Starbucks totally, I'll actually be SAVING money by joining a gym. That's some fancy budgeting right there.

6. I love going to the movies by myself. I need to do it more. Perhaps put up a calendar and label one Sunday afternoon per month as Matinée Day.

Did I have a good time? Yes. HOWEVER...I think I went into the weekend with expectations that were way too high. I have to admit that I thought this weekend would fix me. That it would unscramble that part of my head and heart that has felt so funked up lately. That I would have an "ah-ha!" moment, find my patience once again, shed the elephants that seem to be forever roosting on my shoulders, see the chocolate container as being half FULL.

I didn't come away with any of that, but that doesn't mean the weekend was a waste (my god, at $109/night it COULDN'T be!!!). I feel as though my reserves have been filled. Maybe not to the top, but something is better than nothing. I can look back on my weekend and remember some pretty awesome things...the feeling of stretching out on a bed all of my own, the lack of a baby monitor whirring in the background, the novelty of living in a space with no toys or kid paraphernalia littering the floor, the freeness associated with total privacy...


Hopefully those memories can hold me until Mom-cation 2012...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you were able to get some time away... Yes, I agree... Its so tough to put out of our heads the everyday chores and reality that exists... but a "breather" if you will is so important. I guess there's really no fool-proof "fix-it" but instead, at least for me, a mental decision to get up, keep going and try my darndest to freak out over what deserves freaking out over and leave the rest to "chance" lol. I wish I had known... I would have "dolled" myself up and met you for drinks... that would have been lots of fun! Next time! We still have our date to fit in at some point anyway. lol. I can tell you Jess, the idea of even 1 night in a room where I'm not falling over toys, hearing a child whine, cry or scream for no reason at all, to be able to stretch out, not hear the baby monitor and sound machines-- then wake up whenever my body chooses to say "good morning" is QUITE appealing. Glad you got to go!!!!

Melanie said...

Glad you got some time away. The reason (I think) that one weekend alone doesn't "fix" all of our mommy-induced problems is that we're running on a deficit. Of everything. I think that all of your new goals are going to help turn things around, though. Good for you! Oh, and be sure to put my number in your cell phone. :)

EJ said...

Aahhhhhh! This is such a great idea. Good for you! And I think your long list of things you learned made all of it worth it. Proud of you for taking a break.

I'm your hubby's coworker Roberta's friend. Have four miracles of my own and a bitchy part-time job.

I firmly believe that society doesn't value mothers enough and that we must value each other. We'll change the status quo!

Keep truckin'!
Erin, www.thesearemyreasons.blogspot.com